FreeBSD installation freeze! - FreeBSD doesn't like my hardware?

Rui Costa rui.pfcosta at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 13:25:13 UTC 2009

When installing freebsd (7.2, 8.0 betas, rc1, rc2, rc3 - AMD64) on a Clevo
M540SR laptop (chipset VIA VN896), after menu option selection, the boot
process freezes at "Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/md0". On verbose
booting it freezes giving some mode information:

md0: Preloaded image 4194304 bytes at 0xffffffff80c4be40
ATA PseudoRAID loaded
flowtable cleaner started
warning: no time-of-day clock registered, system time will not be set
accurately
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/md0

Start_init: trying /sbin/init
Start_init: trying /sbin/oinit
Start_init: trying /sbin/init.bak
Start_init: trying /rescue/init
Start_init: trying /stand/sysinstall

I've tried already several boot hints (any of them with success) such as:

apic.0.disabled = 1
sio.0.disasabled = 1
sio.1.disabled = 1
fdc.disabled = 1
kbdmux.0.disabled = 1

A possible solution I found over the internet would be to disable USB 2.0
support on bios, but bios options are very limited and won't allow me to do
that.

I can install FreeBSD 6.4 without any trouble and later upgrade to 7.0 went
flawlessly, but upgrade to 7.2 brings up the freezes again on boot.