whats best pracfive for ZFS on a whole disc these days ?

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Sun Nov 15 00:03:54 UTC 2009

Larry Rosenman wrote:
> 	NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
> 	vault       ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	  raidz1    ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	    ada1    ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	    ada2    ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	    ada3    ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	    ada4    ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	    ada5    ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	  ada0s1f   ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	  ada0s1e   ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	  ada0s1d   ONLINE       0     0     0
>
> errors: No known data errors
> # glabel label disk01 /dev/ada1
> glabel: Can't store metadata on /dev/ada1: Operation not permitted.
> #
>
> Ideas?

This is because glabel writes to the end of the disk (which is what it
uses to persist the label), if you haven't already labelled them it
can't add a one without destroying some data.

I don't have this problem because I used GPT as a container and it has a
UUID for each partition made.

are so many of them to choose from."
   -- Andrew Tanenbaum