Curiously unable to access network - bce, 7.2-RELEASE on a HP blade server

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Sat Nov 14 11:37:06 UTC 2009

The symptoms are:

	* The device (bce0, bce1) comes up, is visible in ifconfig, can be
configured, is UP and RUNNING, everything looks fine
	* Apparently, it simply doesn't work - no ping responses, TCP, nothing
	* But tcpdump shows that the NIC apparently does receive multicast
router announcements, and some broadcast ARP traffic; only unicast seems
to be affected.
	* Running "netstat 1" shows that apparently there are some packets
received - once a second or so, and the "err" counters are 0.
	* Digging further, the dev.bce.0.stat_IfinFramesL2FilterDiscards
contains an increasing number, currently arround 57000 and the
dev.bce.0.stat_IfHCInBadOctets also contains an increasing number,
currently around 450,000, while ...InOctets is around 30,000 and
...OutBadOctets is 0.

 From the sysctls it looks like maybe it's discarding valid input
packets. I've tried disabling rxcsum, txcsum and TSO without effect.

I cannot upgrade or install 8.0 because newusb has some problems with
the hardware.

Any ideas?