ciss(4) not seeing multiple LUNs

Guido Falsi mad at madpilot.net
Thu Nov 12 16:33:20 UTC 2009

Hello,

I'm having a strange problem with HP hardware and the ciss(4) driver.

I have an HP DL160 G6 server with FreeBSD 8 (cvsupped from RELENG_8
yesterday) with a Smart Array P212 SAS controller. There is an HP
Storageworks 1/8 G2 autoloader (dmesg from the machine attached).

The problem is I only get the sa0 device from the tape drive on LUN 0 of
the device, the ch0 device which should be at LUN 1 is not detected.

Camcontrol gives this output:

# camcontrol devlist -v
scbus0 on ciss0 bus 0:
scbus1 on ciss0 bus 32:
<HP Ultrium 4-SCSI U51W>           at scbus1 target 4 lun 0 (sa0,pass0)
scbus-1 on xpt0 bus 0:
<>                                 at scbus-1 target -1 lun -1 (xpt0)
# camcontrol reportluns 1:4
2 LUNs found
0
1

If I try to force a rescan of device 4:1:1 (or any 4:1:x for that
matter) it will happily report a device, but it will be the same device
it sees on LUN 0.

I tried the syscontrols reported in ciss(4) without any change.

I could not find much ducumentation about this on HP site. The
controller's documentation says it "supports" the autoloader, so it
should be able to see it. Maybe I need to enable something in the
contorller but I got no documetnation about that.

Does someone has got an idea? Is this a problem with the ciss driver?

Thanks in advance for any help!

--
Guido Falsi <mad at madpilot.net>