Serial console not working in 7.2-p4 and 7.2-STABLE

Daniel Braniss danny at cs.huji.ac.il
Tue Nov 10 06:47:40 UTC 2009

> All,
>
> I'm pulling my hair out on this one! Can't get the serial console to
> work with nanoBSD, either 7.2-p4 or 7-STABLE. A 8.0 nanoBSD image
> works fine (which I have not created myself). The symptom is that all
> kernel output goes to VGA. Whatever I do. This happens in VMware
> Player (where I actually see the VGA output) and on my ALIX
> (Soekris-like) board (which does not have a VGA card).
>
> boot0 is boot0sio, boot.config contains -h and the loader works fine
> over the serial port. console=comconsole there so that should work,
> right? No, because still my kernel outputs everything to VGA...
>
> I'm using the sio device. Even tried putting flags on 0x30 -> no
> difference at all. Tried the uart device and removing sio from my
> kernel but that resulted in having NO serial ports at all...
>
> Any help is much appreciated!
>
> Sven
hi,
put hint.uart.0.flags="0x10" in /boot/device.hints, or better, make sure
you have an updated one from /sys/i386/conf/GENERIC.hints
another thing, make sure the speed/bauds is correct, else you probably wont
see any output either
in /boot/loader.conf you need

	console="comconsole,vidconsole"
and
	comconsole_speed="115200"
to set the speed.
to get a login you will need, in /etc/ttys:
ttyu0   "/usr/libexec/getty 3wire.115200"       dialup  on secure

hope this helps
	danny