Serial console not working in 7.2-p4 and 7.2-STABLE

Sven Hazejager sven at hazejager.nl
Mon Nov 9 18:14:26 UTC 2009

All,

I'm pulling my hair out on this one! Can't get the serial console to
work with nanoBSD, either 7.2-p4 or 7-STABLE. A 8.0 nanoBSD image
works fine (which I have not created myself). The symptom is that all
kernel output goes to VGA. Whatever I do. This happens in VMware
Player (where I actually see the VGA output) and on my ALIX
(Soekris-like) board (which does not have a VGA card).

boot0 is boot0sio, boot.config contains -h and the loader works fine
over the serial port. console=comconsole there so that should work,
right? No, because still my kernel outputs everything to VGA...

I'm using the sio device. Even tried putting flags on 0x30 -> no
difference at all. Tried the uart device and removing sio from my
kernel but that resulted in having NO serial ports at all...

Any help is much appreciated!

Sven