8.0-RC1 ZFS loader extremely slow

Daichi GOTO daichi at ongs.co.jp
Tue Nov 3 06:23:27 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 09:53:30 +0000
Tom Evans <tevans.uk at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I just installed 8.0-RC1 amd64 on a 6 gpt disk ZFS raidz1 (following the
> guide on the wiki), but
> have problems on reboot with the newly installed ZFS aware loader. The
> loader runs correctly,
> but incredibly slowly. It takes about 2 hours to get to the point where it
> enumerates the BIOS
> disks, although when it gets to that point, it does not take a long time to
> enumerate each
> disk. It takes about 2 minutes for each character change of the spinner!
>
> Fully completing the loader takes somewhere between 2 and 8 hours (I got
> bored watching it),
> and works correctly. The loader from the memstick image works normally.
>
> Daichi GOTO experienced something similar back in January [1], but there
> didn't seem to be
> any resolution to that problem. Disabling AHCI has no effect. Interestingly,
> we both have P45
> based motherboards.

Unfortunately, slow loader process of FreeBSD is still been in my box.
Even on latest 9-current/amd64, situation is the same...

As workaround, I have splited my disk to small UFS partitions including
minimum distrition install by make installworld/installkernel and
ZFS partition. Removed all loading kernel module config from
/etc/loaderc.conf to get up boot speed. Yes, it's just a workaround
not fixed.

--
Daichi GOTO
CEO | ONGS Inc.