zfs panic

Gerrit Kühn gerrit at pmp.uni-hannover.de
Mon Nov 2 08:29:21 UTC 2009

Hi,

I got the following panic when rebooting after a crash on 7.2-REL:

panic: solaris assert: dmu_read(os, smo->smo_object, offset, size,
entry_map) == 0 (0x5 == 0x0), file:
/usr/src/sys/modules/zfs/../../contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/fs/zfs/spa
ce_map.c, line: 341

This seems to be the same panic as mentioned here:
<http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2008-July/043763.html>.

However, I did not see warnings about the ZIL. The crash leading to this
situation was probably caused by me pushing the controller card a bit too
hard (mechanically) during operation (well, so much about hot-plugging of
cards :-).
Since my pool was almost empty anyway and I needed the machine, I opted to
recreate the pool instead of trying the patches supplied by pjd@ in the
thread above.

But nevertheless I would like to be prepared if this happens again (and
the pool is not empty :-).
Right now I am updating the system to 8.0-RC2. Will this issue go away
with zpoolv13/FBSD8.0 (as suggested above)? I could not find out from the
thread above if the suggested patches helped or if anything from this has
been commited at all. Pawel or Daniel, do you remember what the final
result was?

cu
  Gerrit