ZFS on top of GELI / Intel Atom 330 system

Pete French petefrench at ticketswitch.com
Fri May 29 09:40:40 UTC 2009

> Ouch, that does indeed sounds quite slow, especially considering that
> a dual core Athlon 6400 is pretty fast CPU. Have you done any
> comparison benchmarks between UFS2 with Softupdates and ZFS on the

Not at all - but, now you have got me curious, I just went to
a completely different system (four core opteron box, no ecnryption,
four 15k SCSI drives and a zpool of 2 mirrored pairs), and that
also gave me about 25 meg/second!

I am using the wildly unscientific "how long to copy a file"
method to benchmark here, with the file residing on a different
drive, which can provided it at 80 meg/second.

> same system? What are the read/write numbers like? Have you done any
> investigating regarding possible causes of ZFS working so slow on your
> system? Just wondering if its an ATA chipset problem, a drive problem,
> a ZFS problem or what...

I have no idea, and now I think I need to look into it! certainly
I should be getting better than 25 meg/sec out of the 15K SCSI's.

-pete.