FreeBSD supported branches update

Schuendehuette, Matthias matthias.schuendehuette at siemens.com
Mon May 4 12:37:06 UTC 2009

Hello,

owner-freebsd-security-notifications at freebsd.org wrote on :
> The branches supported by the FreeBSD Security Officer have
> been updated
> to reflect the EoL (end-of-life) of FreeBSD 7.0.  The new
> list is below
> and at <URL: http://security.freebsd.org/ >.  Please note that FreeBSD
> 7.0 was originally announced with an EoL date of February 28, 2009,
> but the EoL was delayed by two months in order to allow a 3 month
> window for systems to be upgraded to FreeBSD 7.1.

I have severe problems with this, because NFS-Locking is not working
on FreeBSD-7.1 and later with HP-UX clients. See several PRs which are
talking about this. Same is true für FreeBSD-6.4. So all Releases
with kernel-supported NFS-Locking have problems with HP-UX clients.

FreeBSD-7.0 is the last release that is working and that is therefor
still productive at our site.

What do you recommend?

with best regards

Matthias Schündehütte