remote debug over usb vs. old serial cable?

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Thu Mar 26 06:06:58 PDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 01:56:13PM +0100, Ronald Klop wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In the past I could catch a panic during boot via a serial cable connected
> to another computer.
> My new computer only has USB-ports and ethernet. What kind of cable do I
> need now to do remote debugging?
> The old computer also has usb, so I think the connection should be in that
> corner.
> They all run 7-STABLE.

USB won't work for that purpose.  It requires far too much kernel support to
be useful after a panic.  The same goes for ethernet.

There exists support for debugging over firewire - see dcons(4), and over
old-fashioned serial ports.  If you don't have either of those you are
probably out of luck as far as remote debugging is concerned.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se