ZFS RAIDZ and atacontrol spindown settings

Mark Stapper stark at mapper.nl
Thu Jul 23 07:19:30 UTC 2009

Arnaud Houdelette wrote:
> Mark Stapper wrote:
>> Arnaud Houdelette wrote:

>>> As I get quite the same issue with a 4 disk raidz pool, could you
>>> please tell me the result of your tries ? which command do you use to
>>> force the disks to spin up ?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>> I have been using a shell script containing:
>> #!/bin.sh
>> dd if=/dev/ad4 of=/dev/null count=1&
>> dd if=/dev/ad6 of=/dev/null count=1&
>> dd if=/dev/ad8 of=/dev/null count=1&
>> dd if=/dev/ad10 of=/dev/null count=1&
>>

> Thanks.
>
> FYI, I made the little script behind to speed up the spinup of the
> whole pool, in case it be some use for anybody :
>
> #!/bin/sh
> wait-spinup() {
> while true
> do
> read l
> l=`echo $l | grep 'request while spun down'`
>  if [ -n "$l" -a "`date +%H%M%S`" != "$d" ]; then
>    d=`date +%H%M%S`
>    dd if=/dev/ad4 of=/dev/null count=1 2> /dev/null &
>    dd if=/dev/ad6 of=/dev/null count=1 2> /dev/null &
>    dd if=/dev/ad8 of=/dev/null count=1 2> /dev/null &
>    dd if=/dev/ad10 of=/dev/null count=1 2> /dev/null &
>  fi
> done
> }
>
> tail -n 0 -F /var/log/messages | wait-spinup

Very very nice :-)
Before:
yoshi# time sh ./spinup.sh
 0.000u 0.007s 0:39.13 0.0%     0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w

/var/log/messages
Jul 23 09:05:56 yoshi kernel: ad4: request while spun down, starting.
Jul 23 09:06:06 yoshi kernel: ad6: request while spun down, starting.
Jul 23 09:06:16 yoshi kernel: ad8: request while spun down, starting.
Jul 23 09:06:25 yoshi kernel: ad10: request while spun down, starting.

With your script:

yoshi# time sh ./spinup.sh
0.000u 0.007s 0:10.10 0.0%      0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w

/var/log/messages
Jul 23 09:04:38 yoshi kernel: ad4: request while spun down, starting.
Jul 23 09:04:38 yoshi kernel: ad6: request while spun down, starting.
Jul 23 09:04:38 yoshi kernel: ad8: request while spun down, starting.
Jul 23 09:04:38 yoshi kernel: ad10: request while spun down, starting.

Finally i won't have to wait 40 seconds for a directory listing anymore!
Thank you very very much! :-)
Greetz,
Mark