ZFS RAIDZ and atacontrol spindown settings

Arnaud Houdelette tzim at tzim.net
Wed Jul 22 23:49:23 UTC 2009

Mark Stapper wrote:
> Arnaud Houdelette wrote:
>
>> Mark Stapper a écrit :

>>> I'll try that! thanks!
>>>

>> As I get quite the same issue with a 4 disk raidz pool, could you
>> please tell me the result of your tries ? which command do you use to
>> force the disks to spin up ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
> I have been using a shell script containing:
> #!/bin.sh
> dd if=/dev/ad4 of=/dev/null count=1&
> dd if=/dev/ad6 of=/dev/null count=1&
> dd if=/dev/ad8 of=/dev/null count=1&
> dd if=/dev/ad10 of=/dev/null count=1&

Thanks.

FYI, I made the little script behind to speed up the spinup of the whole
pool, in case it be some use for anybody :

#!/bin/sh
wait-spinup() {
while true
do
read l
l=`echo $l | grep 'request while spun down'`
  if [ -n "$l" -a "`date +%H%M%S`" != "$d" ]; then
    d=`date +%H%M%S`
    dd if=/dev/ad4 of=/dev/null count=1 2> /dev/null &
    dd if=/dev/ad6 of=/dev/null count=1 2> /dev/null &
    dd if=/dev/ad8 of=/dev/null count=1 2> /dev/null &
    dd if=/dev/ad10 of=/dev/null count=1 2> /dev/null &
  fi
done
}

tail -n 0 -F /var/log/messages | wait-spinup