7.2-release/amd64: panic, spin lock held too long

Dan Naumov dan.naumov at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 07:18:57 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 3:57 AM, Dan Naumov<dan.naumov at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 4:27 AM, Attilio Rao<attilio at freebsd.org> wrote:

>>> Any idea if a fix is being worked on and how unlucky must one be to
>>> run into this issue, should I expect it to happen again? Is it
>>> basically completely random?
>>
>> I'd like to work on that issue before BETA3 (and backport to
>> STABLE_7), I'm just time-constrained right now.
>> it is completely random.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Attilio
>
> Ok, this is getting pretty bad, 23 hours later, I get the same kind of
> panic, the only difference is that instead of "portsnap update", this
> was triggered by "portsnap cron" which I have running between 3 and 4
> am every day:
>
> Jul  8 03:03:49 atom kernel: ssppiinn  lloocckk
> 00xxffffffffffffffff8800bb33eeddc400  ((sscchheedd  lloocck k1 )0 )h
> ehledl db yb y 0x0xfffffffffff0f00001081735339760e 0( t(itdi d
> 10100006070)5 )t otoo ol olnogng
> Jul  8 03:03:49 atom kernel: p
> Jul  8 03:03:49 atom kernel: anic: spin lock held too long
> Jul  8 03:03:49 atom kernel: cpuid = 0
> Jul  8 03:03:49 atom kernel: Uptime: 23h2m38s

I have now tried repeating the problem by running "stress --cpu 8 --io
8 --vm 4 --vm-bytes 1024M --timeout 600s --verbose" which pushed
system load into the 15.50 ballpark and simultaneously running
"portsnap fetch" and "portsnap update" but I couldn't manually trigger
the panic, it seems that this problem is indeed random (although it
baffles me why is it specifically portsnap triggering it). I have now
disabled powerd to check whether that makes any difference to system
stability.

The only other things running on the system are: sshd, ntpd, smartd,
smbd/nmdb and a few instances of irssi in screens.

- Sincerely,
Dan Naumov