FreeBSD child process die for root

Sagara Wijetunga sagara at tomahawk.com.sg
Fri Jul 3 16:09:42 UTC 2009

Roland Smith writes:

> Is there anything else from su in the logfiles? That might help narrow down
> where it crashes.

No, other than the same “uid 0: exited on signal 11” for login, su and
cron. What we see is after the fork, child process run for some time and
crashes.

> Are you using the standard FreeBSD su? If not, check your
> modifications. Does the version of the userland that you are using match
> the version of the kernel?

Our su is slightly modified. Tomorrow, I can try with standard su. Our
userland is in some areas different. We normally try to use newer versions
wherever possible. Our build method used to produce acceptable systems till
FreeBSD 7.0. Its only on FreeBSD 7.2 now this issue. Other than that there
is no other noticeable issue.

> I've verified that 'su -l' works fine on FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE-p2 on the
> amd64 architecture.
>
> What you could do is run 'su -l' under a debugger.

I just ran our normal su (without debugging info) under gdb:
gdb /usr/bin/su
GNU gdb 6.6
This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-freebsd7.2"...
(no debugging symbols found)
(gdb) run -l
Starting program: /usr/bin/su -l
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
su: not running setuid

Program exited with code 01.

ls -l /usr/bin/su
 -r-sr-xr-x  1 root  freebsd  14452 Jun 28 13:50 /usr/bin/su

This shows su is setuid root.

Anyway, I'll run su with debugging info tomorrow.

regards
Sagara