FreeBSD child process die for root

Carlos A. M. dos Santos unixmania at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 23:54:08 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 1:17 AM, Sagara Wijetunga<sagara at tomahawk.com.sg> wrote:
> Roland Smith writes:
>> It could be a hardware problem. Signal 11 can be a sign of bad memory.
>> Can you reproduce the problem on multiple machines?
>
> I have taken the hard disk out and fixed on different machines, the symptoms
> are still the same. So it may not be a hardware error.
> Regards
> Sagara

Try to *rebuild* the system on another machine. Signal 11 is usually
associated to bad hardware (RAM) so if you build FreeBSD on faulty
hardware the resulting program may be broken.

Try to debug the "login" program:

(become root)
# cd /usr/src/usr.bin/login
# make clean
# make CFLAGS=-g
# gdb /usr/obj/usr/src/usr.bin/login/login
(supposing that "sagara" is your user name)
#run sagara
(fill-in the password name, if requested)

If the signal 11 is caught, issue "bt" command in gcc. It will show
you where the break happened.

--
My preferred quotation of Robert Louis Stevenson is "You cannot
make an omelette without breaking eggs". Not because I like the