good old intel troubles

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jul 3 12:35:26 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-03 at 12:14 +0200, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
> Now that the intel driver is stable and performs well, again, it's
> time to start complainig about all the things that still do not work.
>
> This is basically going to the console and back. Well, it actually
> works but X will entirely lock up unless the mouse is in motion.
> It's not hard to imagine that this is really bad. With violent mouse
> movement I can get glxgears to render 0.3 frames per second.
> That's it. 1 frame every 3 seconds.
>
> Back on the console everything is fine, so it's really just X
> misbehaving. No scheduling issue or the like.
>
> Oh, btw, when I switch to the Konsole I get the following message
> on my dmesg.
> error: [drm:pid1318:i915_get_vblank_counter] *ERROR* trying to get vblank count for disabled pipe 0

This is still harmless, though I hope that I have caught most of the
cases where it occurs.  Userland (mesa) may still call this ioctl with
the wrong or both crtc's though.  It is converted back to a debug
message in HEAD.

> My system is a core2duo (amd64) running RELENG_7 (sources are from
> ~2 hours ago).

This is all fixed in HEAD.  It is waiting jhb@ to MFC r194644 to get
-STABLE fixed up.  I have additional MFC's to cleanup vblank support
issues, but the primary issue is that msi interrupts don't work after a
vt switch without the above MFC.

robert.