Big problems with 7.1 locking up :-(

Nathan Way nathan at datanode.com
Tue Jan 13 07:31:29 PST 2009

I also am experiencing lock-ups on a server recently upgraded from
7.0-RELEASE to 7.1-STABLE.  This server is a Supermicro 6022 dual-Xeon
box running a GENERIC i386 SMP kernel.  Since upgrading to 7.1-STABLE it
has started locking up daily.  I see similar symptoms that Pete is
seeing - no ping response, no keyboard response, no video output on a
very lightly loaded server.

I have a test machine with duplicate hardware to the one locking up that
I just finished installing 7.1-STABLE on but so far it hasn't locked up.
Coincidentally my locking machine is also a DNS server but I have not
enabled DNS on my test machine yet.

Since the locking server is remote to me, I need to downgrade it to 7.0
to get it stable again.  Once I finish that process, I can provide
remote access to the 7.1-STABLE machine in my office if anyone would
like to test with it.