HEADS UP: snd_hda MFC plan

Tue Jan 6 06:25:30 UTC 2009

Quoting Alexander Motin <mav at FreeBSD.org> (from Tue, 06 Jan 2009
00:13:58 +0200):

> On most systems having several devices is not a problem, as mostly
> used analog connectors are usually detected first. But on some
> systems (for example, having separate HDMI ports on video cards,
> which are now also supported and often detected first), user may be
> required to explicitly configure his audio applications or by using
> hw.snd.default_unit sysctl globally specify default audio device he
> wants to use. This moment explicitly specified in updated man page
> and I am going to specify it in UPDATING.

Is there a way to move those HDMI ports to the end (either in pcmX or
in the probing) somehow? If yes, it would be more POLA to do this
instead of requiring the users to do something.

And related: do all detected analog ports appear in a sensible order?
What I mean is again POLA related. If someone updates from 7.1 to 7.2,
will he be required to do something to get sound out of the same
connector as before when connecting to the default audio device? If
not, is it possible for you to introduce some corresponding sorting
before MFCing?

Bye,
Alexander.

--
The more data I punch in this card, the lighter it becomes, and the
lower the mailing cost.