HEADS UP: snd_hda MFC plan

Alexander Motin mav at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 5 22:13:56 UTC 2009

If there will be no objections, I am going to merge latest snd_hda
driver from HEAD to 7-STABLE next days. Driver was extensively tested by
many people with numerous hardware on both HEAD and 7-STABLE and
provides many significant benefits. Discussions can be found on
multimedia@ list.

The most user-visible difference, is that new driver often provides
several audio devices even on simple systems. That devices refer the
different physical or logical audio hardware parts and using different
hardware connectors. This feature described in details in updated man page.

On most systems having several devices is not a problem, as mostly used
analog connectors are usually detected first. But on some systems (for
example, having separate HDMI ports on video cards, which are now also
supported and often detected first), user may be required to explicitly
configure his audio applications or by using hw.snd.default_unit sysctl
globally specify default audio device he wants to use. This moment
explicitly specified in updated man page and I am going to specify it in
UPDATING.

--
Alexander Motin