R: cvsup freebsd 6_2 to freebsd 7_1 not upgrading?

Barbara barbara.xxx1975 at libero.it
Mon Jan 5 21:01:52 UTC 2009

>Hello List,
>I'm trying to upgrade my system from 6_2 to 7_1 and cannot seem
to do it.
>Perhaps I'm missing something. Here is the basic procedure I'm
following.

>#cp /usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile /root/stand_sup

>#vi /root/stand_sup
><<<host=CHANGE_ME.freebsd.org
org
><<<tag=RELENG_6_2
>
>#cd /usr/src
>#cvsup -g -L2
/root/stand_sup
>#make -j4 buildworld; make -j4 buildkernel; make
installkernel

>... (come back a hour or so later)
>#make installworld; reboot

It seems that you have missed to run "mergemaster -p" before, and
"mergemaster" after running "make installworld".
IMHO, not running mergemaster,
you have not updated /etc/motd so it shows 6.2...
And, as pointed by Brooks
Davis you should have rebooted before running make installworld.