xorg 7.4 keyboard localisation (xorg.conf vs hal)

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 2 13:05:20 PST 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 12:43 -0800, Joe Kelsey wrote:
> Robert Noland wrote:
> >
> > man xorg.conf search for Input...
> >

> This provides absolutely no help.
>
> I look at my /var/log/Xorg.0.log and it tells me nothing.  If I remove
> the keyboard and mouse input devices from xorg.conf, the log tells me
> that it is disabling all input devices and never says anything else.
> There is no evidence that hal does anything that X want to know about.
> How would I detect that my configuration file needs changing?  Is there
> a message in Xorg.0.log to look for?  Is there a help file somehwere
> which explains how to change your configuration file to allow hal to work?
>
> I cannot find any information anywhere in the system to allow me to
> debug my problems in any way.  I want to have fully automatic
> configuration using whatever means will allow it.  You explanations
> about the mysterious behavior of hal and xorg do not give me any
> information I can use in any way to solve my problems.
>

> > Set Options "AutoAddDevices" "off" and you have to configure everything
> > like you used to.
> >
> I WANT to use the new facilities.  Is it possible to debug my
> configuration problems?  Where do I start?  How do I enable this magical
> new world of letting hal do things for me?  What changes do I make to
> xorg.conf to allow this?

Ok, are you using gdm, xdm, or startx?

You need to ensure that dbus and hald are running first.  Set
dbus_enable="YES" and hald_enable="YES" in your rc.conf.

If you are using xdm or startx, there is a potential race on startup,
where hal/dbus are not yet ready when Xorg starts up.  This is an issue
with linux as well and at least partial solutions have been proposed.  I
may try and finish it up if no-one beats me to it... But my preference
is to work on FreeBSD specific issues, given that there is well, one of
me compared to lots of linux folks.

if you are using startx, give dbus/hald a little time to startup before
you startx.  If you are using xdm, some various solutions have been
proposed on the mailing list.  None of them are really pretty, but seem
to be working for folks for the time being.

Failing that, send me your xorg.conf and xorg.log, but it is working for
most people.

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rnoland at FreeBSD.org>