xorg 7.4 keyboard localisation (xorg.conf vs hal)

Joe Kelsey joe at zircon.seattle.wa.us
Mon Feb 2 12:43:56 PST 2009

Robert Noland wrote:

> man xorg.conf search for Input...

This provides absolutely no help.

I look at my /var/log/Xorg.0.log and it tells me nothing.  If I remove
the keyboard and mouse input devices from xorg.conf, the log tells me
that it is disabling all input devices and never says anything else.
There is no evidence that hal does anything that X want to know about.
How would I detect that my configuration file needs changing?  Is there
a message in Xorg.0.log to look for?  Is there a help file somehwere
which explains how to change your configuration file to allow hal to work?

I cannot find any information anywhere in the system to allow me to
debug my problems in any way.  I want to have fully automatic
configuration using whatever means will allow it.  You explanations
about the mysterious behavior of hal and xorg do not give me any
information I can use in any way to solve my problems.

> Set Options "AutoAddDevices" "off" and you have to configure everything
> like you used to.

I WANT to use the new facilities.  Is it possible to debug my
configuration problems?  Where do I start?  How do I enable this magical
new world of letting hal do things for me?  What changes do I make to
xorg.conf to allow this?

/Joe