Problems with Atheros card and hostpd

Derek Kulinski takeda at takeda.tk
Sun Dec 27 20:48:25 UTC 2009

Hello Sam,

Sunday, December 27, 2009, 12:05:34 PM, you wrote:

> I didn't see anything in the thread to point a finger at freebsd but
> given the debug msg log shows "ath0" instead of "wlan0" I'm guessing
> whatever version was being used was pre-8.x.

I think I was the only one in thread who used FreeBSD as an AP, also
that was before 7.x when I made the log. So I'm not saying it's
FreeBSD specific problem, I don't even think it's a BSD problem, but
perhaps some kind of incompatibility and I was hoping for some
workaround.

> Unlikely.  Try collecting a packet trace of a failure w/ wireshark or
> tcpdump from a 3rd sta and send it to me.  Be sure to collect data at
> the 802.11 layer (e.g. -y IEEE802_11_RADIO).  You might also learn
> something by enabling power save debug msgs on the ap w/ wlandebug.

Well, I actually managed it to work. Since the phone was rooted I
changed settings and disabled WME on the phone. I associated it and it
worked. Now there's a weird thing that I don't really get. After I saw
that phone was working with WME disabled, I went back and changed it
to the way it originally was, I also restarted the phone. To my
surprise the phone continued to work (with WME enabled), and I still
don't understand why.

Perhaps it stored some information necessary? I think I'll deassociate
the phone and make it forget the AP and see if it works.

--
Best regards,
 Derek                            mailto:takeda at takeda.tk

You know it's love when you memorize her IP number to skip DNS overhead