Problems with Atheros card and hostpd

Sam Leffler sam at freebsd.org
Sun Dec 27 20:05:39 UTC 2009

Derek Kulinski wrote:
> Hello Boris,
>
> I checked the handbook, UPDATING, and nothing mentioned this thing,
> why? I would think I'm not the only one with this problem, or am I?
>
> Anyway it seems to work, I'm getting:
> Starting hostapd.
> Configuration file: /etc/hostapd.conf
> wlan0: IEEE 802.11 Fetching hardware channel/rate support not supported.
> Using interface wlan0 with hwaddr 00:11:95:e5:70:df and ssid 'mayumi-ap'
>
> Is it something I should worry about?

No.  hostapd collects channel/rate information for functionality that is
linux-specific.  On freebsd hostapd is used purely as an authenticator.

> Also how to create wlan device by hand? "ifconfig ath0 wlandev wlan0"
> doesn't seem to work.
>
> What initially was worrying me was this:
>>> ath0: <Atheros 5212> mem 0xf4000000-0xf400ffff irq 3 at device 11.0 on pci0
>>> ath0: [ITHREAD]
>>> ath0: AR2413 mac 7.9 RF2413 phy 4.5
>
> I thought that ath0 was using a different driver than it supposed to.
>
> There's one more question, though not related to this problem.
> I have an android phone, and it doesn't seem to work with my FreeBSD
> AP, while it works on others. After sniffing the traffic, it looks
> like it is a power management issue:
> https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/87903#87903

I didn't see anything in the thread to point a finger at freebsd but
given the debug msg log shows "ath0" instead of "wlan0" I'm guessing
whatever version was being used was pre-8.x.

> Someone traced the problem to WME/WMM in his case. I don't know if
> that's the case for me yet, I tried to disable/enable wme on the AP
> but it doesn't seem to do anything. Is it possible that I might fix it
> by enabling some option?

Unlikely.  Try collecting a packet trace of a failure w/ wireshark or
tcpdump from a 3rd sta and send it to me.  Be sure to collect data at
the 802.11 layer (e.g. -y IEEE802_11_RADIO).  You might also learn
something by enabling power save debug msgs on the ap w/ wlandebug.

> Anyway, thanks for everyone who helped me fix the initial issue.
>
> Derek
>

> Wednesday, December 16, 2009, 4:28:49 AM, you wrote:
>
>> Multi-BSS support in 8.0 means that you first need to create a wlan
>> pseudo-device, and run hostapd with that. The rc.conf lines look like this:
>
>> wlans_ath0="wlan0"
>> create_args_wlan0="wlanmode hostap"
>> ifconfig_wlan0="ssid networkname media autoselect up"
>
>> -Boris
>
>> Derek Kulinski wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I just upgraded my access point (from 7.1 to 8.0) and can't make
>>> hostapd work (looks like wide-dhcp relay also has a problem with ath0):
>>>
>>> [mayumi]:/root# hostapd -P /var/run/hostapd.pid -dd /etc/hostapd.conf
>>> Configuration file: /etc/hostapd.conf
>>> Line 2: DEPRECATED: 'debug' configuration variable is not used anymore
>>> ctrl_interface_group=0 (from group name 'wheel')
>>> pcap_open_live: