update to 8.0-RELEASE --> partition gone

Ben Morrow ben at morrow.me.uk
Wed Dec 16 23:16:51 UTC 2009

Quoth sthaug at nethelp.no:

> > > So what's an easy recipe we can run on 7.x hosts to see whether we
> > > would have problems with 8.x?

> >     bsdlabel adX
> >
> > finds a valid label (*note*: that is the whole disk, not the slice),
> > then you have conflicting BSD and MBR labels at the start of the disk
> > and you will have a problem in 8.
>
> So presumably if I have root on ad4s1a today, and bsdlabel shows
>
> # bsdlabel ad4
> bsdlabel: /dev/ad4: no valid label found
>
> then I am ready for FreeBSD 8.x?

I think so (but I'm no expert). This setup isn't in any way 'dangerously
dedicated', though, so there's no reason to think it wouldn't work. My
question was whether mounting from ad2d (with no MBR on ad2 at all)
would work; apparently it will, as long as there isn't an invalid BSD
disklabel in sector 2 of the first track.

Ben