update to 8.0-RELEASE --> partition gone

Marcel Moolenaar xcllnt at mac.com
Wed Dec 16 17:29:22 UTC 2009

On Dec 16, 2009, at 2:33 AM, sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:

>> If you installed "dangerously dedicated" and ended up
>> with ad0s1a (note the "s1"), then you have an invalid
>> partitioning and FreeBSD 8.x will not give you what
>> you've been getting on FreeBSD 7.x. Most of the time
>> you only need to wipe out the second sector on the
>> disk to clean it up and have FreeBSD 8.x also give
>> you ad0s1a.
>
> So what's an easy recipe we can run on 7.x hosts to see whether we
> would have problems with 8.x?

If
1.  fdisk ${D} shows FreeBSD slices, and
2.  your mount points are within these slices (i.e your device name
    has a prefix of ${D}s1, ${D}s2, ${D}s3, etc *OR* they have a
    prefix of ${D}cs1 ${D}cs2 ${D}cs3, etc), and
3.  bsdlabel ${D} shows that there's a (possibly empty) BSD disklabel
then you have an invalidly created danerously dedicated disk.

You can wipe out the second sector on the disk to clear the bogus
BSD disklabel.

The most important thing to look at is how you currently mount.
If fdisk ${D} and bsdlabel ${D} show valid information and you
mount from ${D}a, ${D}d, etc -- then your disk is not necessarily
invalid in the same sense that having a PMBR with slices in front
of a GPT is not considered invalid.

FYI,

--
Marcel Moolenaar