Gmirror - geometry does not match label (16h,63s != 255h,63s)

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Thu Dec 3 16:58:44 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 11:14:40AM -0500, Mike Jakubik wrote:
> I just installed FreeBSD 8 on a few new servers, i followed my usual
> procedure for creating a geom mirror right after the installer
> finished. However on bootup i get the following notice for my mirror
> device  "geometry does not match label (16h,63s != 255h,63s)". Can
> this be safely ignored? Better yet, how would one go about fixing
> this?
>
> The servers are Super Micro Super X8STi, i tried both sata mode and
> ahci.

The SATA controller mode (Emulation vs. Native vs. AHCI) isn't what's
responsible here.

I've documented what tickles the message in question on a standard
(non-gmirror) install below, and what "fixed" it as of 8.0-RC2:

http://koitsu.wordpress.com/2009/10/12/testing-out-freebsd-8-0-rc1/
http://koitsu.wordpress.com/2009/11/02/testing-out-freebsd-8-0-rc2/

I hope this information helps you in some way given the details, but I
cannot help with regards to the gmirror part of things or how it fits
into the puzzle.