magic disappearing coredumps

Horst Günther Burkhardt III horst at sxemacs.org
Fri Apr 24 17:58:30 UTC 2009

I'm trying to debug a piece of software. It dumps a core file which
mysteriously vanishes. it's not in the program directory, nor my $HOME,
nor /var/crash nor /var/core ...

Deliberately crashing /bin/sh also results in a core file which turns up
nowhere on my filesystem.

Crossposting to -stable and -ppc because i'm uncertain whether this is a
ppc issue or a bsd issue or simple operator incompetence.

I apologise if the answer is something that was a google away.

-- Horst