dri + ATI: dramatic performance slowdown

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 21 15:11:30 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-21 at 16:26 +0200, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> Ronald Klop wrote:
>
> > X.org is quite good in autodetecting your hardware and running without a
> > config. It works for me out-of-the-box with my Radeon HD 2400 XT and
> > Radeon HD 2600 XT. (But I'm not using agp.)
> > You can also try the xf86-video-ati driver. It works very well with 2d
> > accell. (I'm using it also.)
>
> When I tried xf86-video-ati in the past, it didn't deteced my ChipID so I
> was forced to use the radeonhd driver (I even have to manually patch the
> official generic AMD/ATI Windows XP driver to get support for my
> card ;)).
> I now retested the driver and my Xorg was left unresponsible after my
> loginmanager slim tried to fire up my windowmanager. I only could kill it
> from an other system, switching back to the console and back to X11 left
> my Xorg in an unkillable state while eating up all my CPU time. So for my
> xf86-video-ati is not an option :(
>
> I'm also not sure how the RV610 or RV630 chipsets are different to my
> RV670.

(--) PCI:*(0 at 1:0:0) ATI Technologies Inc RV670PRO [Radeon HD 3850] rev 0, Mem @ 0xd0000000/268435456, 0xfe8e0000/65536, I/O @ 0x0000b000/256, BIOS @ 0x????????/65536

I am running this right now... Though, it is PCI-E, not AGP... Works
with both radeon and radeonhd drivers (current from ports).  I expect
the issue is with AGP, but you need to be setting Option "AccelMethod"
"EXA" on your hardware as well.

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rnoland at FreeBSD.org>