dri + ATI: dramatic performance slowdown

Oliver Lehmann lehmann at ans-netz.de
Mon Apr 20 13:53:02 UTC 2009

Hi,

as I found out in the meantime - the following described problem can be
only worked around when 'Load   "dri"' is removed from the server
section, and 'Option     "DRI"   "true"' is removed from the Device
section. Otherwise:

I've synced my pre-drm-changes 7-STABLE to the latest 7-STABLE. Now the
grafic performance in xorg decreased dramatically. Moving a window or
resizing a window makes me feel sent back 15 years ago ;). I can "see" the
window resizing. The popup of an window is fast, but moving it around or
scrolling... jesus that is what I call slow. Firefox is nearly not usable
for example :(

I wonder what is causing this. I'm using a ATI Radeon HD3850 in it's AGP
version (probably kinda uncommon).

olivleh1 at kartoffel olivleh1> dmesg | grep drm
drm0: <ATI Radeon HD3850> on vgapci0
vgapci0: child drm0 requested pci_enable_busmaster
info: [drm] AGP at 0xd8000000 128MB
info: [drm] Initialized radeon 1.29.0 20080528
info: [drm] Setting GART location based on new memory map
info: [drm] Loading RV670 CP Microcode
info: [drm] Loading RV670 PFP Microcode
info: [drm] Resetting GPU
info: [drm] writeback test succeeded in 1 usecs
drm0: [ITHREAD]
olivleh1 at kartoffel olivleh1> pkg_info | grep radeon
xf86-video-radeonhd-1.2.5 X.Org ati RadeonHD display driver
olivleh1 at kartoffel olivleh1>

>From my xorg.conf:

Section "Module"
    Load        "dbe"
    Load        "freetype"
    Load        "glx"
    Load        "dri"
EndSection
Section "Device"

    Identifier	"ATI1"
    BoardName	"ATI Radeon"
    Driver      "radeonhd"
    BusID	"PCI:1:0:0"
    Option      "Monitor-DVI-I_1/digital"  "Syncmaster DVI1"
    Option      "Monitor-DVI-I_2/digital"  "Syncmaster DVI2"
    Option	"DRI"	"true"
EndSection

the whole xorg.conf can be found here:

http://cvs.olli.homeip.net/index.html/configs/xorg.conf?rev=1.9

Is this expected to happen with DRI enabled?

--
 Oliver Lehmann
  http://www.pofo.de/