FreeBSD 7.2 RC1 amd64 Installation

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 04:01:03 UTC 2009

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 8:20 PM, Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr at gmail.com>wrote:

> Bruce Cran wrote:
> > On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 19:04:26 -0400
> > Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> (3) When shutdown is selected from Gnome menu either by the first
> >> user or the root , within displayed dialog box
> >>       there is no a Shutdown item .
> >>       It is necessary for the root open a terminal console , and enter
> >> shutdown -p now command .
> >>

> > Have you installed sudo?  I think those options
> > (suspend/shutdown/hibernate) only get displayed if HAL sees sudo is
> > available.
> >

> Fact is you will get these options either if you have sudo and your user
> account is authorized to shutdown / reboot (this is the fallback method
> though) or if PolicyKit is configured (see
> /usr/local/etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf) to allow shutdown/reboot.
>
> Entries will look similar to these:
>
> <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown">
>      <match user="yourusername">
>         <return result="yes"/>
>      </match>
> </match>
> <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot">
>      <match user="yourusername">
>         <return result="yes"/>
>      </match>
> </match>
>
> Have a look at http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/halfaq.html for more
> HAL fun ;)

Nearly all of my expressed ideas  about FreeBSD is not about my own
requirements but especially newly beginning users . This point is utmost
importance for me because my profession was the teaching of programming
languages to the students in the University by starting from Introduction to
computing  . In those days computers were not available as they are today .
 I know how difficult is to make a start  to learning to use  a computing
systems with respect to observations of the students .

Then I want to emphasize the points that will be difficult for the new users
to overcome at the beginning .

If we do not reduce usage difficulty level of FreeBSD  as much as possible
it will prevent adoption of FreeBSD so much .

Why FreeBSD so important for me is not a good question because FreeBSD is an
excellent operating system with an immensely invested efforts by its very
valuable developers and I think it is second to none .

For my own difficulties :

I wish - the Handbook includes more examples .
            - the man pages includes more examples for typical situations .

In that respect my idea is that freebsd-questions and other lists contain
excellent cases and solutions to them . In those days there is a concept of
data mining . Actually these lists are containing very good sample cases and
their solutions .

By traversing the questions and problems and answers to them may be utilized
to enhance the man pages and the handbook . This requires extensive
knowledge about the Handbook and man pages which I do not have yet .

Knowledgeable  FreeBSD developers may contribute to this process . It is
known that ideas expressed in mailing lists may be utilized for this process
and my opinion is that no one will object
to utilization of his/her ideas in such a utilization .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk.