ZFSKnownProblems - needs revision?

Christian Walther cptsalek at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 16:18:32 UTC 2009

Hi,

I used geli encrypted ZFS including Root on my IBM Thinkpad T31 with
1GB RAM on a 160GB HDD. (i386 7-STABLE)
Swap on a dedicated slice. Some Z Filesystems used compression
(/usr/ports, /usr/src, for example).

I encountered several crashes, especially during heavy loads, such as
compiling big ports.

Tried some of the "workarounds" listed on the page, which decreased
the performance to a level where watching HD videos wasn't possible
anymore. On heavy load the system was unable to perform as expected,
leading to side effects like a stuttering mouse.
All this disappeared since I switched to classic UFS.

My home server is a amd64 7-STABLE, 4GB RAM, 4x400GB HDD with geli
encryption (AES 256). This works like a charm.

So my take on ZFS is that it is a no go on i386, but a stable solution on amd64.

Regards
Christian Walther