more automated fetch of ISO-IMAGES & ports

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Apr 7 14:55:19 UTC 2009

> From: Lars Eggert <lars.eggert at nokia.com>
> Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 15:55:20 +0300
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>
> On 2009-4-7, at 14:21, Julian Stacey wrote:
> > Perhaps some SOC student might like to develop some extension to
> > fetch, or a new tool to intelligently save net bandwidth & human
> > time (if not this year if SOC bids are in, then next) :
> > 	Intelligently & automatically sniff fetch list to see where
> > 	stuff is, measure the bandwidth, perhaps on a preliminary
> > 	README, & automatically decide where to fetch from.
> > 	& as 2nd stage, give up & try elsewhere if the server
> > 	connection gets too bad.
>
> Use BitTorrent for all file distribution, it does all that. Yes, I'm
> half serious.

Why only half? I have pulled FreeBSD ISOs via torrent and it was
stunning to see the performance.

The system I was loading it to had (at the time) only a fastE (100Mbps),
but it loaded at a steady 90+ Mbps and spent a lot of time above
95M. Now that I am connected from that system at 1000M, I should see how
it does.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)