Radeon r6/7xx support merged to -STABLE

Luke Dean LukeD at pobox.com
Sat Apr 4 02:12:03 UTC 2009

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009, Robert Noland wrote:

> I went ahead and merged the Radeon R6/7xx code to -STABLE a while ago.
>
> The current xorg drivers will not enable it by default on R600+ chips.
> You will need to be using xf86-video-ati-6.12.0,
> xf86-video-radeonhd-devel or possibly even better git master of either.
>
> You will need to add the following to the Device section of your
> xorg.conf to enable it.  If you are experiencing issues, commenting
> these two options out, will prevent Xorg from auto-loading the kernel
> module.
>
> Options "DRI"
> Options "AccelMethod" "EXA"
>
> robert.

I know it's been a few weeks, but thanks for this work!
I'm using a Radeon HD 4350 and tracking -STABLE.

Ever since the big xorg update, my system has been crippled.  I like
to use startx, restart X, and switch consoles with the function keys.
The only driver I could find that didn't completely lock up the system
when I did these things was the vesa driver, so I've been using it.
Even now vesa throws "failed to set mtrr: Invalid argument" on startup
and the screen gets corrupted when I change consoles with the function
keys, but it doesn't freeze my system, so I've been using it.

Today I finally got around to trying out the radeon changes listed
above, and now my system is crippled no more!
Plus I have graphics acceleration!
Thanks!