7.1-PRERELEASE : bad network performance (nfe0)

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Tue Sep 30 14:37:46 UTC 2008

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, Arno J. Klaassen wrote:

>>> However, the "request/respones" tests are awfull for my notebook (test
>>> repeated on the notebook for the sake of conviction) :
>>
>> Is it possible to rerun these tests with a 7.0 kernel of the same general
>> configuration?  That would help us determine if it's a regression between
>> 7.0 and 7.1,
>
> 7.0-RELEASE-p4 kernel (and 7.1 world) as well as 7.0-RELEASE life-cd give
> same results : great streaming, very poor request/response

Thanks for testing this -- it rules out a host of potential issues that could
have been from changes in flight between 7.0 and 7.1, which is very helpful.
At least for me, since I made many of those changes :-).

>> or perhaps a more general issue between 6.x and 7.x.
>
> nve(4) does not recognise this chip.
>
> If someone does have a bootable 6-stable .iso with a backported nfe(4) ...
> or email if_nfe.ko to me and I will tes under 6-stable
>
> For now I will test the patches Pyun and Luigi sent me and let you know.

OK.  I'll drop out of the loop on this one unless it's determined that the
network stack itself is implicated rather than the drivers.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge