Rare problems in upgrade process (corrupted FS?)

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Fri Sep 26 10:47:34 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 12:22:55PM +0200, Jordi Espasa Clofent wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm traying to update a FreeBSD server box from 6.3p11 to 7.0 and I've
> found a rare problems.
>
> 1) I do the sync process with csup(1); next I go into
> /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf to edit the GENERIC file (I use a custimized
> kernels) and this file doesn't exists. Mmmm.... I decide to repeat the
> process againt other cvsup mirror but I get the same results: GENERIC
> file isn't there.
>
> 2) I go to FreeBSD CVSWeb , locate the GENERIC file under the 7_0 tag,
> copy and paste. Yes, I know: a very nasty process. The big problem
> appears when I try to do 'make cleandir' and others. I get the next
> outputs:
>
> # pwd
> /usr/src
> # make cleandir
> make: don't know how to make cleandir. Stop
> # make buildworld
> make: don't know how to make buildworld. Stop
> # ls -l /usr/bin/make
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  351024 Aug 18 13:19 /usr/bin/make
> # file /usr/bin/make
> /usr/bin/make: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, AMD x86-64, version 1
> (FreeBSD), for FreeBSD 6.3, statically linked, stripped

Looks to me like you have no /usr/src/Makefile.

> * After the theorical FS reparation I'm again in the point 1.

None of the information you provided in your above output, however,
shows anything about the filesystem (other than /usr/bin/make).  But
this sounds honestly like some sort of corrupted supdb, or a cvsup
mirror that's broken.

I would do the following:

rm -fr /usr/src/*
rm -fr /var/db/sup/src-all
csup -h <cvsupserver> -L 2 -g /usr/share/examples/stable-supfile

I can assure you /sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC exists, and is on the cvsup
mirrors.

> * I reboot the machine (because of I suspect a very weird FS problem),
> boot in single user mode and do a 'fsck -fy'. Effectively, the fsck(8)
> found and repair several errors. Epecially, one error claims my
> attention: SUPERBLOCK.

Superblock problems wouldn't explain this; there are hundreds of
superblocks available (you wouldn't be able to use your machine if they
were all horked).