proposed change to support policy for FreeBSD Releases

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at
Thu Sep 25 14:22:50 UTC 2008

Jo Rhett wrote:
> Some quite lively offline discussion has come to conclusion with the  
> following suggestions to change the support policy.  Obviously, this  is 
> what we feel would be a good idea, but it's obviously open to  
> discussion and there's nobody demanding anything here.  It just seems  
> "better".

> Note2: This new policy would not change the support period for 6.4 if  
> it is the final release, but it does completely resolve the need to  
> "guess" whether or not it will be the final release.
> The notable change that I believe will encourage business  participation 
> in the testing/evaluation process is that 6.4 is  guaranteed to be 
> supported either 24 months, or at least 6 months past  the release date 
> of 6.5.   (recent history suggests this would be  15-19 months).  This 
> encourages businesses to test and evaluate 6.4  NOW, rather than waiting 
> until a decision about the support policy is  made.
> Repeat from the top: nobody is demanding anything.  I think this  policy 
> would make a lot more sense, and would promote forward  movement.  Feel 
> free to correct me if we overlooked anything.  Thanks.

I read the whole thread about releases schedule and I second your 
proposed changes. It makes things clear to me and I'll be happy if this 
concept will be accepted by FreeBSD team.

Miroslav Lachman

More information about the freebsd-stable mailing list