7.0-stable: a hung process - scheduler bug?

Josh Carroll josh.carroll at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 20:08:15 UTC 2008

> However, what I'm seeing on my system today is evidence of the scheduler
> having a bug, rather than merely being suboptimal. If the old scheduler is
> still maintained and supposed to work (however sub-optimally) in 4-CPU
> configurations, I'd expect either inquiries for more debug-information or
> assurances, that the bug is known and worked on.

I'm no expert, but I don't think you can necessarily conclude that it
is the scheduler yet. It very well may be, but I agree that someone
with more expertise hopefully will ask for more detailed debug/trace
information to pin down where the problem lies.

> In the July 26th sys/conf/NOTES file the SCHED_BSD4 is still on the default
> option....

GENERIC for i386 and amd64 has ULE as the default in RELENG_7.

Regards,
Josh