freebsd 7 with sata drives

Brian brian at brianwhalen.net
Sun Sep 21 05:30:46 UTC 2008

Brian wrote:
> The board in question is an Asus M3A78-EMH HDMI.  I have tried the
> instructions for a safe kernel compile in /usr/src/updating also.
> Even after that, the kernel starts to load, but the root partition
> cant be found, and I am left at a mountroot> prompt.  If I go
> ufs:ad5s1a, that fails as well.
>
> Brian

I have done much more testing on this.  With a pata drive all is well.
I can install 7.0-release and run freebsd-update successfully including
the subsequent reboots.  However, over the weekend I tried to go to
stable again, and still, the subsequent reboot leaves me at a mountroot
prompt.  If I go ufs:ad8s1a  at the prompt the root partition, of course
I dont want to have to do this each time.  If I use the september
snapshot, the sata disk is visible.  I just tried to run and iinstall a
6.4 prerelease, and then did a make buildworld && make kernel
KERNCONF=SMP and that worked successfully.  I see this behavior with a
160 gig wd disk as well as a 74 gig raptor(This weekend's test hardware).

Brian