6.3 reboot -d doesn't work

Stephen Clark sclark46 at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 18 11:57:21 UTC 2008

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 01:03:46PM -0400, Ed Maste wrote:

>>> It's a known problem.  If when the machine reboots, you forcefully enter
>>> single-user, you should be able to get the kernel dump using savecore.
>>>
>>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=conf/118255
>> Your PR doesn't look like Stephen's problem to me, since according to
>> his description the system hangs when trying to do the dump so there
>> won't be anything on the disk for savecore to save.
>
> You're right, thanks Ed.  His "when it comes back up there is no crash
> file" is what threw me for a loop.
>
> Stephen, does the problem *only* happen when using the -d flag, or does
> the system lock up on reboot in general?
>
> If the latter, try using one or both of the following sysctls:
>
> hw.acpi.handle_reboot=1
> hw.acpi.disable_on_reboot=1
>
> If the lesser, I've no idea.

The problem only happens when I do the reboot -d. If I do reboot it comes back
ok. I have tried it on two different platforms 1) a Biostar TForce 6100
mainboard with an AMD dual core processor 2) a Soekris net5501
with the same results. I get the dumping message and then it hangs and I have to
hard reset the box.

Thanks,
Steve

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety."  (Ben Franklin)

decreases."  (Thomas Jefferson)