6.3 reboot -d doesn't work

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 17 20:28:50 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 01:03:46PM -0400, Ed Maste wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 09:25:37AM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 07:36:46AM -0400, Stephen Clark wrote:
> > > I am trying to get a crash dump but am unable to with FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE-p2
> > >
> > > [...]
> > > reboot -d
> > > dumping 255M 2 chunks
> > >

> > > Then nothing - the system doesn't reboot and I have to hard reset it.
> > > When it comes back up there is no crash file in /var/crash
> > > [...]
> >
> > It's a known problem.  If when the machine reboots, you forcefully enter
> > single-user, you should be able to get the kernel dump using savecore.
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=conf/118255
>
> Your PR doesn't look like Stephen's problem to me, since according to
> his description the system hangs when trying to do the dump so there
> won't be anything on the disk for savecore to save.

You're right, thanks Ed.  His "when it comes back up there is no crash
file" is what threw me for a loop.

Stephen, does the problem *only* happen when using the -d flag, or does
the system lock up on reboot in general?

If the latter, try using one or both of the following sysctls:

hw.acpi.handle_reboot=1
hw.acpi.disable_on_reboot=1

If the lesser, I've no idea.