Upcoming Releases Schedule...

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Wed Sep 17 21:52:41 UTC 2008

On Sep 15, 2008, at 11:56 PM, Mark Linimon wrote:
> We're interested in suggestions about how to get more people involved
> with testing and bug fixes.
>
> There's certainly no lack of demand for the features -- all the way
> from
> running on inexpensive wireless routers all the way up to 'enterprise-
> grade' distributed storage solutions.  (These are real examples from
> various mailing lists.)
>
> So, in your opinion, what's the way to reconcile all these demands
> (features + stability + long-term support of release branches) with
> a group that is 95%-plus volunteer effort?

As I have said to you directly in personal e-mail, the maintenance
schedule is creating a chicken and egg problem.  If companies weren't
forced to run internal distribution and release management on their
own, they could allocate more resources (ie volunteers -- PAID ones!)
to testing and release management of the main distribution.

To speak personally from my own experience: our business can not
afford to pay me to help develop a release effort with an unknown
maintenance period (6.4-REL).  Since we need to have a clear
maintenance window for any installed/upgraded host, we are forced to
provide that support internally.

If we had known (and longer than 12 month) maintenance periods for a
given release, then I could avoid maintaining this infrastructure
internally and would have somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 hours a
month I could dedicate to testing and bug fixes of FreeBSD as a whole.

--
Jo Rhett
and other randomness