Upcoming Releases Schedule...

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sat Sep 6 11:06:14 UTC 2008

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008, Ben Kaduk wrote:

> To quote from the same website:
> Early adopter
>    Releases which are published from the -CURRENT branch will be
> supported by the Security Officer for a minimum of 6 months after the
> release.
> Normal
>    Releases which are published from a -STABLE branch will be
> supported by the Security Officer for a minimum of 12 months after the
> release.
> Extended
>    Selected releases will be supported by the Security Officer for a
> minimum of 24 months after the release.
>
> I don't remember seeing any speculation about 6.4 being an extended release,
> so, EoL is 12 months after release, whenever that actually happens.

Unfortunately, it's a little hard to tell at time-of-release whether a
particular release will become extended life or not.  This is because extended
support status is dependent on the success of the release (i.e., general
perception of stability and performance), but also based on the success of
other simultaneously releasing branches.

We normally don't make a .0 release "extended support" because there's a
reasonable expectation that .0 releases will see more limited deployment than,
say, a .1 or .2 release, and that those incrementally later releases will be
significantly more stable or performant as a resut of the burn-in the .0
received from earlier branch adopters.  How long we keep release 6.x releases
will depend entirely on how successful 7.x is; I think there's a reasonable
expectation that 6.4 or 6.5 will be the last 6.x release, in which case we
would want to grant it extended support status.  But what happens depends a
lot on how successful 7.1 is.  My hopes are high, but there's nothing like
real-world deployment to shed light on things :-).

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge