FreeBSD 7.1 Content

Guido Falsi mad at madpilot.net
Thu Sep 4 16:08:40 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 05:35:09PM +0200, Marian Hettwer wrote:

> Ah, I have to disagree.
> The last few times I installed a FreeBSD with xorg, I was really pleased
> how good xorg was in guessing my hardware in comparison to the olde days of
> XFree86.
> It was really, install xorg, run xorg -configure, take the config, install
> the nvidia driver from ports and nvidia settings too, then replace "nv"
> with "nvidia" in xorg.conf and with some clicks in the nvidia settings I
> was up and running dual screen.
> I thought to myself afterwards, Wow! that was easy. Used to be harder...

This goes beyond the scope of the thread. I know I started this, my
point was that trying to guess what people will be expecting or trying
to do with such an option is difficult. It may cause more problems that
solve them, and that things like FreeSBIE are bbetter tools at the job.

No objection to an option like "install xorg/fvwm/FF3", but I think it
will make just a few people happier, not really help any newbie, and be
of no purpose to people like me. On the other hand such an option will
have to be supported if present.

> PS.: am I the only one, thinking that this thread should move to -chat?

I think this thread has outgrown both the original author's intentions
and mine. I just answered by instinct, I disagreed with some points, but
as I said here I have no objection to an option in istall, but IMHO
supporting it may be harder than what it's worth.

--
Guido Falsi <mad at madpilot.net>