FreeBSD 7.1 Content

Guido Falsi mad at madpilot.net
Wed Sep 3 19:54:09 UTC 2008

Dan Allen wrote:
> BACKGROUND:
>
> A few years ago one could get a FreeBSD CD and install X and get a
> decent basic system from one CD.
>
> One can still do this with Ubuntu today as well.
>
> Why can't we have a small window manager like icewm along with Firefox
> 3.0+ be among the packages on the first FreeBSD CD so a basic working
> system with a web browser can be a default install?  Is it that X.org is
> now too big?
>
> SUMMARY:
>
> I would like to see FreeBSD 7.1 add to its disc1:
>
> 1) X.org
> 2) icewm
> 3) firefox-3.0
> 4) support for Intel 4965 wireless drivers
> 5) support for Marvell 88E8040 ethernet driver

If you just want na instant workstation, why you just don't try Freesbie
or something like that?

If I install FreeBSD on a PC I expect this installation to live there
for some years. I can spend some hours/days installing and configuring
what I really need. At least this is the way I see it. Maybe I'm
misunderstanding you.

--
Guido Falsi <mad at madpilot.net>