Promise SX4060 on 7.1-BETA2

David Boyd David.Boyd at insightbb.com
Fri Oct 24 12:22:15 PDT 2008

 - ---Original Message-----
From: Søren Schmidt [mailto:soren.schmidt at gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2008 02:30
To: Jeremy Chadwick
Cc: David Boyd; freebsd-stable at freebsd.org; Andrey V. Elsukov; Søren Schmidt
Subject: Re: Promise SX4060 on 7.1-BETA2

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 9:03 PM, Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu at freebsd.org> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 02:01:55PM -0400, David Boyd wrote:
> I am attempting to install 7.1-BETA2 (from CD) onto a PC with a Promise
> SX4060 RAID controller and two Seagate 120GB ATA disk drives.
>
> The boot from CD keeps repeating the following (error) messages: (I'm
> retyping here)
>
> {snip -- for dmesg errors, see URL below}

You're the second person to report this problem recently.  The other
person (see below) reported the same thing, also using a PATA
controller, and also using Seagate disks (though different models).

We now have two reproducible test cases where users are seeing continual
errors from the controller when attempting to set the transfer mode,
enable read and write caching, and SET_MULTI.  The only similarity so
far is that they're both PATA users.

In Kristian's case, his disks were in a usable state, but we ultimately
determine the Silicon Image controller might be responsible for what he
was seeing (the SMART errors we saw in his logs could've been from any
time in the past; he saw errors on multiple disks, and not all of those
disks shown SMART log errors)... while David's not using a Silicon Image
controller at all.

Kristian's setup:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2008-October/046023.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2008-October/046027.html

Silicon Image 0680 ATA100 (problem was also seen on Promise PDC20270)
ad4: <Seagate ST3320620A 3.AAF> at ata2-master PIO4
ad5: <Seagate ST3320620A 3.AAF> at ata2-slave  PIO4
ad6: <Seagate ST3750640A 3.AAE> at ata3-master PIO4
ad7: <Seagate ST3320620A 3.AAD> at ata3-slave  PIO4

David's setup (what we know so far):
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2008-October/046140.html

Promise SX4060
ad4: 114473MB <Seagate ST3120814A 3.AAJ> at ata2-master PIO4
ad8: 114473MB <Seagate ST3120814A 3.AAJ> at ata4-master PIO4

Soren/Andrey, can either of you comment on this?  If at all possible, it
would be good to get this hammered out before 7.1-RELEASE is tagged.

  Does it work if booted on a 8-current kernel ?
  The driver path's used by the SiI0680 and the SX4060 are *very* different,
mind you.

  -Søren

  I tried the 200810 8.0-CURRENT snapshot CD.

  The error messages were approximately the the same until:

  current process = 12 (swi6: task queue)

  [thread pid 12 tid 100014 ]

  Stopped at    ata_promise_sx4_command+0x39:  movl 0xc(%eax),%esi