Promise SX4060 on 7.1-BETA2

David Boyd David.Boyd at insightbb.com
Thu Oct 23 11:30:30 PDT 2008

I am attempting to install 7.1-BETA2 (from CD) onto a PC with a Promise
SX4060 RAID controller and two Seagate 120GB ATA disk drives.

The boot from CD keeps repeating the following (error) messages: (I'm
retyping here)

==================
ad4: WARNING - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE task queue timeout - completing
request directly
ad4: WARNING - SETFEATURES ENABLE RCACHE task queue timeout - completing
request directly
ad4: WARNING - SETFEATURES ENABLE WCACHE task queue timeout - completing
request directly
ad4: WARNING - SET_MULTI task queue timeout - completing request directly
ad4: FAILURE - READ timed out LBA=0
ad4: FAILURE - READ retrying (1 retry left) LBA=0
ad4: FAILURE - READ timed out LBA=0
ad4: FAILURE - READ retrying (0 retries left) LBA=0

ad4: FAILURE - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE timed out
ad4: FAILURE - SETFEATURES ENABLE RCACHE timed out
ad4: FAILURE - SETFEATURES ENABLE WCACHE timed out
ad4: FAILURE - SETFEATURES SET_MULTI timed out

ad4: 114473MB <Seagate ST3120814A 3.AAJ> at ata2-master PIO4

ad8: WARNING - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE task queue timeout - completing
request directly
ad8: WARNING - SETFEATURES ENABLE RCACHE task queue timeout - completing
request directly
ad8: WARNING - SETFEATURES ENABLE WCACHE task queue timeout - completing
request directly
ad8: WARNING - SET_MULTI task queue timeout - completing request directly
ad8: FAILURE - READ timed out LBA=0
ad8: FAILURE - READ retrying (1 retry left) LBA=0
ad8: FAILURE - READ timed out LBA=0
ad8: FAILURE - READ retrying (0 retries left) LBA=0

ad8: FAILURE - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE timed out
ad8: FAILURE - SETFEATURES ENABLE RCACHE timed out
ad8: FAILURE - SETFEATURES ENABLE WCACHE timed out
ad8: FAILURE - SETFEATURES SET_MULTI timed out

ad8: 114473MB <Seagate ST3120814A 3.AAJ> at ata4-master PIO4

and then these messages (and minor variants) keep repeating (I've let it go
for at least one hour).

I have about three dozen of these computers (from a failed M$ project) and
would very much like to use them with FreeBSD.

Any ideas?  I'm game for almost anything.

Thanks.