Recommendations for servers running SATA drives [hot-swap]

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Fri Oct 17 04:50:10 PDT 2008

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 09:30:20PM +0200, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
>
>>Today I was replacing disk in one Sun Fire X2100 M2 so I tried
>>hot-swapping. It was as you said: atacontrol detach ata3, replace the
>>HDD, atacontrol attach ata3 and new disk is in the system. I tried it 3
>>times to be sure that it was not coincidence - no panic was produced ;o)
>>So in this case, hot-swapping on Sun Fire X2100 M2 with FreeBSD 7.0 i386
>>works.
>

> That's excellent news.  So it seems possibly the problem I was seeing
> was with "reinit" causing some sort of chaos.  I'll have to check things
> on my testbox here at home to see how I caused the panic last time.
>
> Thanks for providing feedback, as usual!  :-)

Unfortunately there is one problem - I see a lot of interrupts after
disk swapping (about 193k of atapci1)

Interrupts
197k total
      ohci0 21
      ehci0 22
193k atapci1 23
2001 cpu0: time
2001 cpu1: time

Full output of systat -vm 2 is attached.

It is shown in top as 50% interrupt (CPU state) and load 1 until I
rebooted the machine (I can provide MRTG graphs). The system was not in
production load, but almost idle. (I will put it in production tomorrow).
After reboot, everything is OK.

Can somebody test hot-swapping with SATA drives and confirm this
behavior? (I can't test it now, because machine is in datacenter)

Miroslav Lachman