Recommendations for servers running SATA drives [hot-swap]

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 16 13:23:25 PDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 09:30:20PM +0200, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> Today I was replacing disk in one Sun Fire X2100 M2 so I tried
> hot-swapping. It was as you said: atacontrol detach ata3, replace the
> HDD, atacontrol attach ata3 and new disk is in the system. I tried it 3
> times to be sure that it was not coincidence - no panic was produced ;o)
> So in this case, hot-swapping on Sun Fire X2100 M2 with FreeBSD 7.0 i386
> works.

That's excellent news.  So it seems possibly the problem I was seeing
was with "reinit" causing some sort of chaos.  I'll have to check things
on my testbox here at home to see how I caused the panic last time.

Thanks for providing feedback, as usual!  :-)